The Interdepartmental Schlachtfest is the brainchild of Jimbo, who has been watching too many episodes of the Office and decided we needed some form of team-building exercise involving beer and quizzes… it is only a rumour that the night ended with Felix throwing a shoe over the roof of the Schultheiss brewery whilst shouting “And that’s the real quiz!”
Last night saw The Interdepartmental Schlachtfest: Part Deux, whereby the different departments of the Circus Hostel, Hotel and Apartment House pit their wits against each other. After the bowling extravaganza last year the revenge was set up. The program was easy, first a tour through Berlins largest Brewery which gave not only the answers to some of the questions in following quiz but also gave everyone a wonderful insight into the wonderful process of brewing everyone’s favourite alcoholic beverage.
Deeply impressive was of course the bottling plant as seeing 50.000 bottles of beer being cleaned labeled and then filled every hour is something. After the tour it was on to the tasting room for 2.5 hours of free brew tasting. Once all the teams had truly whetted their whistles it was on to the highlight of the evening. The quiz. 20 of the most well thought out questions by Quiz master Mister Felix K., all about, yep, you guessed it, beer. It was a close run race the team “Jim’s All Girls” consisting of Katrin, Jule, Saskia, and Victoria snatched victory. It had nothing to do with their team name either as the extra point for the best team name went to “The Yeasty Boys”…. Very imaginative J. If you feel like having a crack at the questions. Don’t be shy….. Answers upon request.
1. In the Middle Ages fasting Monks were still allowed to drink beer. What was the amount of beer each monk was allowed to drink per day?
2. What is the terminology of the study of fermentation?
3. What is the cause of bad beer’s “skunked” taste?
4. Who is the Patron Saint of Brewing?
5. Chicha is a Peruvian beer. Its secret ingredient is a bit odd, what is it?
6. What is Felix’s favorite beer?
7. How many Hector Litres are produced at the Schultheiss Brewery per year?
8. How old is the Schultheiss brewery?
9. Write the word beer in as many languages as possible? (Point for each)
10. If David Hasselhoff was a beer which one would it be any why? (Point for best answer)
11. In which year did Jim drink so much beer that he puked all over the bathroom for the first time? (Point for the closest)
12. How many beers had Jim drunk before this premiere? (Point for the closest)
13. What classification system is used to describe the color of beer?
14. What is the fear of an empty (beer) glass called (extra points for spelling)?
15. Pyramid workers were paid with beer. What was the daily “wage”?
16. Beer and Marijuana are cousins: Beer’s Hops are in the same family of flowering plants as marijuana. Bearing that in mind, what is 7*8?
17. What is the world’s highest alcohol content in a beer? (extra points for the name of the beer)
18. Which country drinks the largest amount of beer per capita?
19. Beer is the second most popular beverage in the world (outrageous I know). What is the first?
20. Did you have a good time?
Here are some more pictures from the evening: