WELCOME TO OUR NEIGHBOURHOOD
Over the past two decades the creative energy of Berlin has continued to pulse through the streets, and nowhere more than at the north end of Berlin Mitte, where galleries and boutique shops share street space with some of the city’s finest restaurants, cafes and bars. Below we have put together a list of some of our favourite spots within walking distance of your apartment.
Download our Neighbourhood Guide (pdf)
1. THE CIRCUS HOSTEL – The mothership of The Circus, the hostel opened in 2001 and offers everything from dorm rooms to penthouse studios. The street cafe has snacks and light meals, whilst Goldman’s Bar is the place for live sports, music, and the Saturday night Karaoke Klub
2. THE CIRCUS HOTEL – As well as a range of rooms, The Circus Hotel is also home to the Fabisch restaurant, where head chef Roman Bigalke and his team offer up contemporary German cuisine. Fabisch is also the location for live music on Fridays and Sundays.
Rosenthaler Straße 1
EAT & DRINK
3. NOLA’S AM WEINBERG – Swiss-German restaurant overlooking the Weinbergspark. Great breakfasts on a Sunday and a fantastic terrace for lazy summer afternoons
4. IL SYNDICATO – Italian flatbread, known as Piadina, filled with all kinds of goodies. Proper fast food and top notch coffee.
5. BAR MAN RAY – Our neighbours up the street, and a great spot to get a bite to eat as well as a wide range of cocktails.
Choriner Straße 72
6. SANKT OBERHOLZ – Our friends on the Rosenthaler Platz... and home to the macbook-wielding digital bohemia all busy being creative over good coffee, cake and sandwiches.
Rosenthaler Straße 72a
7. KIM – Minimalist bar just off the Rosenthaler Platz, and something of a hipster hangout and none the worse for that – great DJs and other fun stuff.
8. WEINEREI – Something of a Berlin institution, the Weinerei is a place where you go to drink wine and pay what you think it is worth. Honour amongst wine drinkers indeed!
9. BANDOL SUR MER – Top class French cuisine in a unique setting, loved by Hollywood film stars and locals alike. It gets busy so make sure you ask us to reserve you a table.
Torstraße 167, no website, 030 6730 2051
10. THEMROC – A favourite of Berlin’s growing band of foodies, Themroc offers up a single menu each day prepared by a talented team. Again, reservations recommended.
11. NOTO – Noto means North of Torstraße, and with its focus on seasonal cooking at an extremely high standard, it has been a welcome edition to the local culinary scene.
12. KAFFEE BURGER – A legend in the neighbourhood, a late-night drinking den of dubious repute, and sometime home of the infamous Russian Disco.
13. FRESH & FRIENDS – If you need some groceries for that all important meal, this 24/7 shop on Kastanienallee has a good range of organic goods including fresh fruit and vegetables, bread, wine and beer.
14. BONGOUT SHOWROOM – Gallery and showroom for artists and silkscreen printers Meeloo Gfeller and Anna Hellsgrd. Contemporary, underground and graphic art.
15. ROTATION BOUTIQUE – A mash-up of vinyl, clothes, culture, art and accessories, the Rotation Boutique is run by close friends of ours. Great music, great fashion, great people.
16. DANDY OF THE GROTESQUE – Clothing for gentlemen, combining the service of a traditional tailor with modern riffs on the tried and tested. Call ahead for a personal appointment.
17. PAUL’S BOUTIQUE – A neighbourhood branch of the famous vintage and brand stores, Paul’s Boutique is a haven for hunters of the timelessly fashionable.
18. A.D.DEERTZ – A menswear brand from Wibke Deertz, the A.D.Deertz showroom on Torstraße is not only the place for stylist new threads, but also home to a series of artistic events.
19. 14OZ – Iconic store of the Berlin fashion scene, dedicated to good-looking clothing produced by craftsmen and women – brands include Levis Vintage, Woolrich, Atelier la Durance and Dondrup.
Neue Schönhauser Straße 13
20. MADE IN BERLIN – If you are looking for that unique piece or that special something, Made In Berlin draws vintage lovers to their treasure trove of originals.
Neue Schönhauser Straße 19
21. RED WING SHOES – You will see these on the feet of many of The Circus team...rugged, hard-working and well-made, with a style that is pure Americana.
22. KWIKSHOP – A kiosk-style shop on the long-time hangout for Mitte’s hipsters, the Kastanienallee, where you are sure to find something that you never realised you needed.
ART & CULTURE
23. LICHTBLICK KINO – A tiny cinema just around the corner, the Lichtblick is unapologetically art house in its taste, but still finds the time for a weekly midnight showing of Casablanca.