A while ago, Jim and Jared joined Bully and together the three flew to No-Kunda, Gambia. You can read all about the first part of their journey here. For everyone who wondered how the rest of their trip went and if they finally made it to the well, here comes the second part of the story.

Jim and I were lucky enough to spend the night in Bully’s village. After all the excitement of our arrival had settled a bit, Jim and I did our best to blend in.

Bully had not seen his family in a very long time, and we wanted to give him some time to catch up with everyone. Jim and I kept ourselves entertained mainly by teaching the kids English. The young boys and girls were so smart and learned so quickly that we were amazed how well they mimicked whatever we said. Jimbo had them saying lovely jubbly in their best manchunian accent in no time!

We walked though Bully’s village and got a bit lost in one of the peanut fields, but luckily people started to get bit nervous when we seemed to have disappeared and so they sent a car for us.

It was lunch time and inside the compound there was a large metallic bowl filled with rice and Domoda, a meat stew in a spicy peanut sauce, waiting for us.  I already miss the tastes and smells of these dishes as sharing these meals with Bully was a very special time.

After lunch and a short nap, I woke up by Bully telling us that the elders of the village wanted to show their gratitude. Jim and I were offered two plastic seats and slowly men from the village starting arriving. The group got bigger and bigger and they were all there to show their thanks for helping fund the well. The imam of the village spoke and Bully translated his words for us. The elders prayed as Bully explained this was their way of showing thanks. The imam gave a short sermon on humanity and both Jim and I said a few words about how happy we were to be there. We kept it short as we were both overwhelmed with emotion from the gathering.

Bully showed us around and then the night time slowly crept up on us. It was a new experience for me being in a place without electricity. Luckily the moon was relatively full and Jim and I had fun playing with our moon shadows. It was also a whole new experience showering with water from the well in the outdoors in the pitch dark.

The next morning, we woke up, had a bite to eat, and made our journey back to the ferry. The trip normally takes an hour by car, but it took us most of the day. Because Bully had not been back in a while, it was important to visit all of his friends and family  along the way. Jim and I  met so many wonderful people and all of them greeted us with big smiles on their faces.

Visiting and being able to spend time with Bully in his village, meeting his family and seeing how people live in rural Gambia was a truly unique and unforgettable experience!

img_20161111_134640 img_20161111_131247600_hdr img_20161111_131511157_hdr img_20161111_132216566_hdr